Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Last week I moved the kids bedrooms around. Samuel got Gracie's bunk beds and his very own big boy room . Gracie got a new trundle bed and the vanity and dressers that were her great- grandparents. I have noticed that all the stores sell pictures on canvases that look like a child has painted it. I decided to let each of the kids paint their own canvas for their room.
Gracie found several other canvases and pieces of paper to paint. When she was finished for the night, she asked if she could sell her paintings. I sceptically told her she could try. That was all the permission she needed. The next thing I knew, she was pulling her small table and chairs outside and asking me to make her a sign to sell her paintings and hot cocoa's. I tried to dissuade her. I told her it was too dark, too cold, no one would be driving by...it was dinner time. Gracie told me she was an artist and she knew she could sell her paintings. I appeased her by making a sign to sell hot cocoa and a painting for $1.00 each. What a bargain ($4.00 below her prefered asking price).



Chris and I watched her trudge outside with her paintings and her hot cocoa's determined to prove us wrong. We assumed she would quickly get cold and discouraged and would promptly return inside. Thank goodness we were wrong. When Grace sold her first painting for $10.00 her dad brought out the portable heater to keep her warm. Samuel and I joined her outside where Sam drank a good portion of her hot cocoa. All in all she sold 3 paintings and went through 4 batches of hot chocolate before we called it a night (The heater burned out and the cold did get to her eventually).



Here is what Grace taught me. Don't listen to the people who say it can't be done. Believe in yourself and do what you know you can. Even if you don't succeed, what have you lost in trying? You will be better for the effort...and make sure to take along plenty of hot chocolate. It warms the tummy and the soul when sipped with someone you love.

4 comments:

Usually Kristen sometimes Kevin said...

Love it. Too bad Sam didn't try selling some of his masterpieces too! They would have been a hit.

MommaArch said...

Way to go Gracie! Shauna you're amazing. You always have such fun creative ideas:)

The Pick's Patch said...

That's AWESOME!!! I love that she was so determined and didn't give up! She totally sold some....and it was so dark!wow!!!

The Pick's Patch said...

My kids LOVE looking at these pictures....I wish I wouldn't go nuts having paint on my counters like yours did....Can I have some of your patience...PLEASE???!!!!